Kennebunk Parks & Recreation Department
Skip to nav
Student Nature Hour
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
The goal of this 6-week program is to engage and prepare youth to become active in our environment. We would like to educate youth about their surrounding environment and encourage them to see the beauty in nature. We will incorporate the INaturalist app to have the students photograph and identify plants, birds, insects, and other wildlife!
- Brainstorming and ice breaker activities including what do you know about nature, what is your favorite animal, and what is your best nature experience
- Exploring photographs of various animals and seeing who could properly identify them
- Exploring the INaturalist app with a goal of becoming citizen scientists
- After rapport has been established, students will explore various habitats, while using binoculars, and a spotting scope.
- We will take small groups to explore amphibians and reptiles
- After each outing, we will encourage students to keep a journal and to log their sightings for the day
The program is taught by UNE environmental science major, Harry Wales and will be held at Sea Road School utilizing the Bridle Path. Transportation to Sea Road is NOT provided.